Monday, July 13, 2015

The Winter I tried to escape

Well, we are right in the middle of winter down here in Punta Arenas. It's actually kind of pretty, but considering everything is covered in a layer of ice, it makes it extremely difficult to walk. I only fell twice this week though...I've also tried walking like a penguin, it doesn't actually work. But anyway, this week we had a lot of snow come down, more than there has been in the last 20 years or so. At first, it was actually kind of fun playing in the snow, but when you spent 8 hours a day contacting outside, it's not the greatest thing anymore. 
I've attached a photo of the snow. My companion told me to smile, but I said I wanted to make it more realistic. I never expected my mission to be like this. It's unbelievable cool that there are all these different environments, I honestly feel like I'm in a new mission. 

The work is moving slowly here in Estrecho, but it's coming along. We have had more success in the last week than this sector has seen in the last couple years. We haven't had a baptism in a couple years, and Elder Salgado and I are blessed enough to have a couple families with a baptismal date. We are really excited and working as hard as we can to help them progress. Attached, is a photo of my companion. He is hilarious, never a dull moment! He pretty much only talks in English, which I also find hilarious, it has been the first English prayers I have heard in quite some time. But hey, talk to the Lord in the language you are comfortable with. Anyway, Elder Salgado is from Texas, his biggest fear on the mission is losing too much weight too fast. He claims he doesn't want to have to buy new pants every week hahah, so we have to be careful. He's a big guy, no secret there, biggest missionary in our mission. This transfer, we have a goal to get into shape, we have started a workout program using T25, which should be interesting haha. Also this week I had the opportunity to speak in church.

I have found a lot of myths about Punta Arenas...I heard there were ropes on the sidewalk, and the only way you could walk was with these ropes, because its too windy. That's not actually true. There aren't penguins either, which is sad. I thought they would be like running in the streets like dogs or something. People also told us that there's only sunlight there for a couple hours a day, because you're just so down south...that's not true either. The final thing I heard was that there are no fruits or vegetables. Although they're expensive, we have all the fruits and vegetables you could dream of. We actually have a Super Walmart here! It's such a blessing to be able to go to the store and buy peanut butter. As a missionary, you hear a lot of things that aren't necessarily true hahah. 

Have a great week everyone. 

With love,
Elder Haddad

 Elder Salgado


No comments:

Post a Comment